MSW Degree Programme
The University of Alabama
Master of Social Work Degree Program
offered in Hong Kong
at Hong Kong Shue Yan University
The University of Alabama, founded in 1831, has a long history of professional and graduate education in the United States. The School of Social Work was established in 1965 and offers degree programs at the undergraduate, master, and doctoral levels. Shue Yan University has been offering this MSW Program in conjunction with the University of Alabama, U.S.A. since 1981. This program has been officially recognized by the Civil Service Bureau of Hong Kong Government since August 1988 and is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education of U.S.A. (CSWE). The graduate of this program can register as RSW at the Hong Kong Social Workers Registration Board. This program has been entered in the register of exempted courses by the Non-local Courses Registry of Education Bureau, Hong Kong since 1998.* (Ref. No. 460006)
The whole program consists of two parts. Part one is completed in Hong Kong during two summers and part two is completed at The University of Alabama in the U.S.. Normally, seven courses will be offered in two Summer Semesters and one field work education in Hong Kong. All courses are taught in their entirety by professors from The University of Alabama. The whole program can be finished within two years and the maximum time frame is four years.
The following courses will be offered at Hong Kong Shue Yan University for the
Part I of Hong Kong Program:
(1) Social Welfare Policy - History, Problem, Programs and Analysis
(2) Human Behavior and Social Environments (Parts I & II)
(3) Social Work Practice with Individuals and Families
(4) Social Work Practice with Communities and Organizations
(5) Social Work Practice with Groups
(6) Research Methods for Social Work Practice
(7) Integrative Seminar
Part II is the concentration year of the MSW curriculum. It must be completed at The University of Alabama in the United States. Students can choose one of two concentrations including Social Work with Children, Adolescents and their Families or Social Work with Adults and their Families. An internship is required to be completed either in the State of Alabama or Washington, D.C. during the spring semester.
Admission to the Hong Kong Programme
Those eligible to apply for admission to the MSW programme in Hong Kong include individuals who have earned a bachelor’s degree or hold a diploma equivalent to a recognized U.S. degree from any of the institutions approved by the Hong Kong Government. To be admitted without condition to the University of Alabama Graduate School and the School of Social Work, the applicant must meet the following requirements:
1. Grade point average (on a 4.0 scale) of at least 3.0 overall or 3.0 for the last 60 semester hours.
2. TOEFL score of at least 550 on the paper based (PBT) or 213 on the computer based test (CBT) or an IELTS score of 6.5 or higher.
Five Reasons to Attend this MSW Program
1. Take 50% course work in Hong Kong and another 50% in USA
2. Academic credits earned in Hong Kong are transferable to other accredited MSW programs in USA
3. Courses are taught by University of Alabama faculty experienced in teaching, research and publication.
4. Opportunity to get experience inside US government policy-making committees or to practice in excellent direct-service clinical agencies.
5. Take courses in Hong Kong for two summers, gain field education experience, and complete degree requirements in the USA in 10 months.
For inquiries about the program, please contact Ms. Yip, Program Coordinator, Hong Kong Shue Yan University at 2806-5162.
It is a matter of discretion for individual employers to recognize any qualification to which this course may lead