Study Abroad Scheme

Exchange/Study Abroad

Reasons for Exchange/Study Abroad
What are the incentives?

  • Enrich your academic experience
    Learn from different context.
  • Broaden your international outlook
    Engage in a multicultural environment; experience a new culture.
  • Make new friends
    Meet people from around the world; build an international network.
  • Personal development
    Improve your language skills; enrich your life experience; build up self-confidence.
  • Enhance your career prospects
    Enhance your competitive edge via international exposure and acquisition of transferrable skills.

Duration and Destination
When to go?

  • You may study abroad for one or two semesters during Years 2 to 4. Having said that, Year 4 students are advised to discuss with their Head of Department before the submission of application.

Where to go?

  • You can choose from the partner universities of HKSYU.
  • You can select a maximum of two partner universities. Successful applications will receive an offer in accordance with their performance and preferences.
  • Check out website for available opportunities and curriculum restrictions.

Who is eligible?

  • You are eligible to apply if you:
    • are registered full-time undergraduate student at HKSYU at the time of application and throughout the duration of your study abroad
    • attained a Total GPA of at least 2.7 in the preceding year of study
    • possess good language proficiency (Except for application to partner universities in Mainland China or Taiwan, student should have attained at least Level 4 in HKDSE English Language or equivalent; some universities stipulate a higher language requirement)
    • fulfill the admission requirements of the host university for exchange students
    • possess good character and attitude for study.

Can I apply if I am a final year student at the time of departure for study abroad?

  • Yes. But you may have to defer your graduation. If you are shortlisted for exchange, there is a high chance that you need to apply for extension of study.

Can I study abroad in the semester right after my final year at HKSYU (i.e. summer semester or first semester in the next academic year)?

  • No. Only full-time HKSYU students are eligible for the Study Abroad Scheme. Students can apply to study abroad during Year 4, but not after they have completed Year 4.

Course Load and Credit Transfer
How many courses should I take during exchange?

  • It depends on the regulations, which are stipulated by the host university or the host country, concerning course selection. You are recommended to take between 12 credits (four 3-credit courses) to 15 credits (five 3-credit courses) in one semester, if it is possible.

Can I gain credits from courses studied abroad?

  • Your department has full autonomy to determine your eligibility for credit transfer.
  • In general, you will be eligible for credit transfer of courses satisfactorily completed at the host university. Consult International Unit/Department for any department-specific requirements and for advice on course selection once you have been nominated by HKSYU to the host university.
  • While your Department may give you an indication as to whether the courses that you undertake in the host university are transferable before departure, you should note that credit transfer will only be confirmed by your Department upon your return to HKSYU through review of your work completed at the host university.
  • Grades for courses completed abroad would not be included in the calculation of GPA and Honours classification.
  • You should plan carefully in advance especially if you do not wish to extend your degree study.

 Can I graduate on time?

  • You should not assume that you can graduate on time, especially when you wish to study abroad in Years 3 and 4 (for certain programmes)/Year 4.
  • You may probably graduate on time if you devise your study plan very carefully, including the selection of courses at the host university and upon your return to HKSYU.
  • In order to have the freedom of course selection and fully enjoy the exchange experience, some students, especially for those who would like to study abroad for 1 year, prolong their studies by one semester or one year at HKSYU.

What are the costs?

  • Tuition fees
    • During the period of study, student either pay tuition fees to HKSYU only or to both the HKSYU and host university depending on the terms and conditions of the collaborative agreement signed between HKSYU and the host university.
    • For exchange, student will pay tuition fees to HKSYU.
    • For study abroad, student will be required to pay tuition fees to HKSYU and the host university. In order to encourage student to explore the World, HKSYU will offer student exchange scholarship to the student participating in study abroad.
    • Check out the website (i.e. “Apply”) for specific arrangement of individual partner universities.
  • Total costs vary depending on the cost of living in your destination. Some costs to consider include:

- Accommodation
– Health, medical and travel insurance
– Student visa
– Meals
– Airfare
– Transportation
– Books and stationery
– Mobile phone and internet connection
– Student activities
– Other personal expenses.

  • Check out the website (i.e. “Apply”) for the estimated cost of living in different countries. Check out website of the host university for an indicative guide. You are required to prepare a budget plan as part of your application.
  • Some countries require you to provide financial proof that you can support yourself financially when you apply for a visa.

Where will I live?

  • Host universities will assist students in arranging accommodation, and it is your responsibility to secure accommodation for your study period abroad.
  • Some partner universities offer on-campus accommodation while others provide assistance in finding off-campus housing.
  • Consult International Unit as soon as an offer is accepted.

Financial Support
Is there any financial support for my study abroad?

  • Scholarship/sponsorship
    Dr. Li Dak Sum Student Exchange Scholarships – It awards scholarships of the value of HKD10,000 each. There will be 15 scholarships for each round. The International Unit will continue to explore more sponsorship for HKSYU students. Check out scholarship/sponsorship availability and arrangements on HKSYU website.
  • Students participating in exchange/ study abroad and attained a Total GPA of at least 3.0 are encouraged to apply for the Reaching Out Award (ROA) offered by the Education Bureau. You may seek more information about ROA from the Office of Student Affairs (OSA).
  • Financial aid
    Education Bureau Schemes for Subsidies on Exchange for Post-secondary Students – Check out website for details

When to apply?

  • In normal circumstances, there are two rounds of recruitment (i.e. Jan/Feb and Sep) each academic year.
  • Check the website (i.e. “Apply”) and stay tuned for updates on applications to partner universities in other regions.

What are the steps?

What are the selection criteria?

  • Good academic standing
  • Motivation for studying abroad
  • Good planning skills
  • Good communication skills
  • Outgoing personality
  • Good character
  • Good attitude for study.

What is the format of the interview?

  • It will normally be a group interview.
  • The interview will be conducted mainly in English. If you would like to go on exchange in Mainland China or Taiwan, the interview will be conducted in Putonghua.

What if I withdraw during the application process (e.g. absent from the interview) or reject an offer?

  • Your future application may be seriously affected.

Language Requirement
Do I need to take any English assessment (e.g. IELTS)?

  • Many partner universities stipulate a minimum English language requirement. You should provide proof of English proficiency at the time of application to the host university.
  • Your IELTS score is only valid if it is taken within the two-year period before your application to host university.

When should I take English assessment (e.g. IELTS)?

  • You should take the IELTS test as early as possible and within the two-year validity period before your application to host university. When you submit your application to HKSYU, you are required to provide sufficient proof that you can meet the admission requirements of your preferred universities.

Can I use my HKALE/HKDSE English Language subject result as an equivalent to IELTS test score?

  • You meet the minimum English language requirement for application if you attain one of the following:
Test/Exam Score/Grade
IELTS (Academic Module) Overall band score 6.5 or equivalent
HKDSE English Language Level 4
  • The above is the minimum English language requirement required for application only. Individual partner universities may set a higher minimum score for admission.
  • The partner universities will only accept the result of English assessment released within two years before the submission of application.

I want to study in Mainland China or Taiwan, do I need to submit proof of my Putonghua proficiency?

  • You should state your results for the Putonghua courses taken in HKSYU in the application form. You can provide proof of any public examination result e.g. Test for Proficiency in Putonghua (普通話水平測試) as additional proof.
  • You will be assessed on the level of your Putonghua proficiency during the interview.

If I only apply for partner universities in Mainland China or Taiwan, do I need to attain the necessary English language proficiency of IELTS score 6.5 or equivalent?

  • No. You should however provide supporting evidence to prove your proficiency in Putonghua.

Travel Documents
What travel documents are needed?

  • You must have a valid passport/home return permit and for some countries a student visa. Check out the requirements of the host country.
  • Your passport should be valid for at least 6 months and longer than the duration of your exchange.
  • Check the procedures and documents required for applying a student visa. Apply for a visa as soon as you receive an acceptance letter from the host university.
  • If you plan to travel to other destinations as a tourist during exchange, check if additional visas are required and apply.

When should I book my flights?

  • It is advisable that you pay for your flights only after you have been officially accepted by the host university and successfully applied for a student visa.
  • Check out for the orientation date and last exam date at the host university prior to flight booking.

Do I need insurance?

  • You should ensure you are covered by comprehensive travel, medical and health insurance for your entire study period.
  • The insurance should cover, but is not limited to, travel, personal accidents, medical expenses (accident and non-accident), hospitalization and emergency evacuation/ repatriation.
  • Some host countries/universities may have different insurance requirements. Pay attention to their specific requirements.

Further Information
Want to know more?