The ProgrammeThe PsyD-CoP programme at HKSYU is the first Doctoral degree in Counselling Psychology in Asia. The programme intends to produce psychologists who possess the necessary core competencies of their chosen profession, and who can qualify for admission into and/or registration with major professional groups. Should the graduates decide to practice abroad, the programme should enable them to pursue membership of the American Counselling Association (ACA), Australian Counselling Association (ACA), British Association of Counsellors and Psychotherapists (BACP), and the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Latest News
1. The deadline of application of 2018 September intake is 8 June 2018. Please refer to "Programme Brochure and Application Procedures" section.
2. The information seminar will be held at 7:30 p.m. on 3 May 2018 (Thursday) at 7:30pm. Please click HERE for reservation.
3. Legislative Council Brief @ EDB (February 2015) 4. Press release (Singtao) on 6 February 2015 5. Press release (Singtao) on 9 January 2015 6.仁大開辦首個博士課程（樹仁簡訊2014年11月號）
(HKSYU offers first doctoral programme in Counselling Psychology @ HKSYU Newsletter)
- Feature of the Programme
The PsyD-CoP is a small and intensive programme, and each student is expected to compose his/her own programme of study to meet his/own learning needs under the guidance of a designated mentor.
The student is expected to choose a specific area in Counselling Psychology (e.g. working with students with special education needs, vocational counselling for the mentally challenged, psychotherapy for mood disorders, parenting and adjustment issues in childhood, etc.), and to develop significant expertise by focusing all three dimensions of his/her learning in this chosen area.
- Goal of the Programme
The primary goal of the programme is to produce competent practitioners and researchers who can assume leadership positions within the professional community. The competent practitioner in this context is one who who:
1. has the necessary expertise to carry out the functions normally practiced by counselling psychologists world-wide;
2. can assume major leadership roles in the development of counselling psychology in Hong Kong and who can minister to the short and long-term mental health needs of the Hong Kong population; and
3. will continue to do research, thereby promoting the understanding and development of counselling psychology in Hong Kong.
- Programme Information
Title of Award: Doctor of Psychology in Counselling Psychology Mode of Attendance: Part-time Intake Quota per Annum: 6 Duration of Programme: Three years Programme Director: Professor Catherine SUN The total number of credits required for graduation: 60 Total Tuition Fees: $180,000, (i.e. $3000 for one credit)
- Programme Structure
The programme adopts a three-dimensional scientist-practitioner approach to training students, employing the perspective of scientific enquiry, and basing their practice on the science of psychology.
The total number of credits required for graduation is 60, and the credit distribution is as follows:
- Knowledge Dimension – 12
- Research Dimension – 24
- Practice Dimension – 24
The Knowledge Dimension
The knowledge dimension comprises 4 courses or 12 credits.
The Practice Dimension
The Practice Dimension consists of a further 24 credits and is made up of two components – Preparing for Practice (CP610-611), and Clinical Practice (CP612-614).
Preparing for Practice
The Research Dimension
This dimension is made up of two 3-credit courses on methods (CP605 Advanced Skills in Research Methods in Counselling Psychology and CP606 Research Mentorship in Counselling Psychology), and an 18-credit dissertation composed of three 6-credit courses (CP607-609 Clinically-based Research Thesis).
- Suggested Progression in the Programme
Students are advised to work closely with their mentor to plot an optimal path of progression. The following is thus suggested only as a prototype.
CP601 Culture and Psychotherapy
CP602 Conceptual Issues in Counselling Psychology
CP605 Advanced Skills in Research Methods in Counselling Psychology
CP604 Advanced Skills in Assessment and Evaluation in Counselling Psychology
CP606 Research Mentorship in Counselling Psychology
CP603 Guided Reading in Specific Topics
CP610 Independent Clinical Study I
CP611 Independent Clinical Study II
CP612 Clinical Practice I
CP607 Clinically-based Research Thesis I
CP613 Clinical Practice II
CP608 Clinically-based Research Thesis II
CP614 Clinical Practice III
CP609 Clinically-based Research Thesis III
- Entrance Requirements
1. Possess a Master’s degree in Counselling Psychology or Clinical Psychology from a recognized local or overseas university;
2. Have earned a GPA of 3.3 or above, or its equivalent, from the afore-mentioned programme of study; and
3. Be either currently registered or be eligible to register with the Hong Kong Psychological Society (HKPS) as a Counselling or Clinical Psychologist.
PsyD-CoP Doctoral Studentships
A limited number of studentships are offered to outstanding applicants each year. The amount of each studentship is HKD90,000 per academic year, paid at the rate of HKD15,000 per month for two 3-months semesters. Those awarded studentships are expected to assist in research projects assigned by the Programme Director.
Applicants must be the Year 1 or Year 2 PsyD-CoP programme students with research experiences in the Social Sciences.
Year 1: Applicants must indicate clearly their intention to apply for studentships on their application forms.
Year 2: Studentships are open for applications in early July of the year.
- Programme Brochure and Application Procedures
The Information Seminar with free talk will be held in early May 2018. Please click HERE for reservation. Details of the seminar are as follows:
Date: 3 May 2018 (Thursday)
Time: 7:30 pm
Venue: Lecture Hall 303, Lower Block, Research Complex, HKSYU
A completed application package shall consist of the following documents:
- Application form (pdf version / doc version)
(which include "Passport size photo", Statement of Intent", "2 Referees from 1 Academic and 1 Professional" and "Promotion Survey"
- An application fee of HK$200 by crossed-cheque to "HONG KONG SHUE YAN UNIVERSITY" (fees paid are not refundable)
- Photocopies of degree certificates
- Official transcripts from post-secondary institutions/universities attended.
(Transcript Request Form (pdf version / doc version) - Please also send this form to your appropriate officer of institution from which the transcript is requested. HKSYU graduates are not required to request for transcripts from the Registry. Copies of past academic results will suffice.)
- A photocopy of each professional qualification obtained as stated on the application form
- 2 signed and sealed Referee Reports (pdf version / doc version)
The application shall be submitted by post or in person to:
Doctor of Psychology in Counselling Psychology
Hong Kong Shue Yan University
10 Wai Tsui Crescent, Braemar Hill Road, North Point, Hong Kong
Tel: 2104 8270
Deadline of Application (For September 2018 cohort)
8 June 2018 (Late applications will be accepted subject to availability of space.)
- Graduate Profile and Employment Pathways