Frequently Asked Questions

The University and its Facilities

  • 1. Where is HKSYU located and how can I get there?

    HKSYU’s main campus (Braemar Hill campus) is located on Braemar Hill, a tranquil spot on the eastern side of Mid-Levels, Hong Kong Island. It is 15 to 20 minutes away by bus from Causeway Bay, Tin Hau and North Point. Please click here for directions.

  • 2. HKSYU is the first private university in Hong Kong. What is a "private university"? What are the differences between a 'private' and a 'UGC-funded' university?

    A ‘private university’ is self-funded and financially independent; a “UGC-funded university” is supported by public funding. Private universities are more flexible with their teaching policies and enjoy a higher degree of academic autonomy, which allows them to adhere more closely to their mission, goals and character. In 2006, the Chief Executive in Council approved the renaming of Shue Yan College into “Hong Kong Shue Yan University.” Every five years, the University undergoes a review by the Hong Kong Council for Accreditation of Academic and Vocational Qualifications (HKCAAVQ) to ensure it maintains effective internal quality assurance and monitoring measures. Our University has successfully passed two reviews by the HKCAAVQ in 2011 and 2016 respectively.

  • 3. Are HKSYU’s programmes generally accepted by society? Will employers and other institutions recognize my academic qualification?

    HKSYU’s undergraduate and postgraduate programmes are accredited by the Hong Kong Council for Accreditation of Academic and Vocational Qualifications (HKCAAVQ). HKSYU’s programmes are widely recognised by local and overseas institutions. Our graduates are also eagerly sought after by employers.

  • 4. What are the prospects of HKSYU students after graduation?

    HKSYU alumni are widely recognized by employers from many different sectors. Graduates of business administration can seek career in areas such as marketing, administration, banking, finance and human resources. Accounting graduates can work in fields such as auditing and tax. Journalism and communication graduates can build a career in journalism, public relations and advertising. Law and business graduates can work as company secretaries, start a career in financial services or pursue legal studies. English major can seek a career in administration or in the creative industries. Graduates of social work can become social workers or engage in social services. In short, we allow our graduates to unleash their potential in their chosen field . For those wishing to pursue further studies can also apply for postgraduate programmes at local or overseas institutions.

  • 5. What undergraduate courses does HKSYU offer? What are the majors and minors on offer?

    There are three faculties including Faculty of Arts, Faculty of Commerce and Faculty of Social Sciences.  HKSYU currently offers a total of 16 undergraduate degree programmes as follows:

    Faculty of Arts
    Bachelor of Arts (Hons) in Chinese Language and Literature
    Bachelor of Arts (Hons) in English
    Bachelor of Arts (Hons) in History
    Bachelor of Arts (Hons) in Journalism and Mass Communication

    Faculty of Commerce
    Bachelor of Commerce (Hons) in Accounting
    Bachelor of Business Administration (Hons)
    Bachelor of Business Administration (Hons) in Human Resources Management – Applied Psychology
    Bachelor of Business Administration (Hons) in Digital Marketing
    Bachelor of Business Administration (Hons) in Corporate Governance and Risk Management
    Bachelor of Arts (Hons) in Economics and Finance
    Bachelor of Commerce (Hons) in Financial Technology
    Bachelor of Commerce (Hons) in Law and Business

    Faculty of Social Sciences
    Bachelor of Social Sciences (Hons) in Counselling and Psychology
    Bachelor of Social Sciences (Hons) in Psychology
    Bachelor of Social Sciences (Hons) in Sociology
    Bachelor of Social Work (Hons)

    Admitted students are required to complete the courses of their respective major programmes. Students can also pursue a minor on a voluntary basis. Some major programmes allow students to pursue a minor programme according to their interests.

    Please click here for more information about the undergraduate programmes available.

  • 6. Does HKSYU provide General Education (GE) courses?

    Yes, there are General Education (GE) courses in four areas:

    • Chinese Culture in the 21st Century
    • Communication and Literacy
    • Global Citizenship
    • Interdisciplinary Perspective

    All undergraduates must take at least one course from each area (i.e. in total 12 credits). For more details, please click here.

  • 7. Can I apply for exchange programs?

    HKSYU is partnered with 45 universities in 19 regions, including Australia, Austria, Canada, Finland, France, Germany, Japan, Mainland China, Malaysia, Netherlands, New Zealand, Republic of Korea, Spain, Sweden, Taiwan, Thailand, United Kingdom, United States, and Vietnam. For more details about the Study Abroad Scheme, please visit here.

  • 8. Will I have the opportunity to join internship programmes?

    Yes. The programmes listed below provide compulsory, voluntary or summer internship opportunities:

    Bachelor of Arts (Hons) in Journalism and Mass Communication (Compulsory Internship)

    Bachelor of Business Administration (Hons) (Voluntary Internship)

    Bachelor of Arts (Hons) in Economics & Finance (Voluntary Internship)

    Bachelor of Commerce (Hons) in Law and Business (Summer Internship)

    Bachelor of Social Sciences (Hons) in Counselling  and Psychology (Compulsory Internship)

    Bachelor of Social Sciences (Hons) in Psychology (Voluntary Internship)

    Bachelor of Social Sciences (Hons) in Sociology (Voluntary Internship)

    Bachelor of Social Work (Hons) (Compulsory Internship)


  • 9. How many students can HKSYU accommodate in its residential halls?

    We can accommodate up to 1,000 students at our residential halls in the Research Complex and the Residential and Amenities Complex.

  • 10. Does HKSYU accept applications from non-local students?

    Yes. Most non-local students come from Mainland China. There are also a number of exchange students from Korea, Malaysia and Sweden.

  • 11. What is the tuition fee for undergraduate programmes? Is it adjusted every year?

    The annual tuition fee for undergraduates admitted in the academic year of 2021/22 is HKD $74,280, payable in two installments. HKSYU adopts a “Lock-in Tuition Fee” mechanism under which new tuition fees are only payable by newly admitted students; those enrolled in previous academic year(s) are not affected by fee adjustments.

  • 12. Can I apply for the Financial Assistance Scheme for Post-secondary Students (FASP)? Does HKSYU provide scholarships?

    From the 2017/18 academic year onwards, the Government provides Non-means-tested Subsidy Scheme (NSS) subsidies for eligible students pursuing full-time locally-accredited local and non-local self-financing undergraduate (including top-up degree) programmes in Hong Kong (save for those enrolled in places already supported under the Study Subsidy Scheme for Designated Professions/Sectors) offered by eligible institutions. For more details, please visit the website of the Concourse for Self-financing Post-secondary Education here.

    Students can apply for government financial assistance through the Financial Assistance Scheme for Post-secondary Students (FASP) and/or Non-means-tested Loan Scheme for Post-secondary Students (NLSPS) from the Student Finance Office (SFO) under the Working Family and Student Financial Assistance Agency (WFSFAA). The Office of Student Affairs also provides scholarships, bursaries, interest-free loans and emergency assistance. For more details, please go to the website of Office of Student Affairs (OSA) here.

  • 13. What facilities does the Research Complex have?

    The Research Complex includes research centres, a multi-purpose hall, a multi-media hall, lecture halls and lecture rooms. Apart from these facilities, the Research Complex also provides additional 500 bed spaces which doubling the original total number of bed spaces at the University. Meanwhile, HKSYU reserves spacious areas for student use, which include self-study rooms, common rooms, computers rooms, cafes and a sky garden. There are also free spaces for student activities on the ground floor.

  • 14. What is the learning environment like at HKSYU?

    Students at HKSYU actively pursue knowledge and virtue, in line with the University’s focus on ‘cultivating virtues of benevolence; broadening horizon and knowledge.’ The teachers here are not only mentors, but also friends. When teaching, they cater to students and their respective needs.

  • 15. What is university life like at HKSYU?

    HKSYU students enjoy a rich and fruitful student life. There are currently ten university societies, 16 interest groups (including drama, music and sound production) and 16 sports teams. Apart from self-organised activities, students can also take part in activities held by university departments. The Office of Student Affairs, for example, organised an “Adventure Activity Day” to promote greater self-understanding in students. The Career Services Section also holds workshops and recruitment talks which equip the students with skills for their future career.

Admissions and Interviews

Application for Admission via E-APP

  • 28. How can I submit my application for undergraduate programmes?


    Please browse for details at

  • 29. How can I check if my application has been received?

    Submission of new applications for undergraduate programmes via E-APP will be processed by HKSYU Admissions Office every Monday morning during the application period. Applicants will receive a confirmation email with payment instructions from the Admissions Office. If you do not receive any confirmation email within 14 days from the date of your application submission, please login to E-APP ( to reconfirm if your application has been successfully submitted and contact HKSYU Admissions Office in due course.

  • 30. How can I change my programme choice via E-APP?

    After submitting the application on E-APP, you may submit a request for change of programme through the system. Please refer to the Demo of “Change programmes” at E-APP.

    Applications for change programmes via E-APP will be processed by HKSYU Admissions Office every Monday morning during the application period, changes will be effected and can be checked via“On-line Admission Application Status Check” once approved by the Admissions Office.

  • 31. When will the application result be announced?

    The application results via E-APP will be announced in batches by July each year.  If you do not hear from us by the afore-mentioned date, please contact Admissions Office in due course.

  • 32. How can I pay the application fee?

    Please refer to the payment methods from the confirmation email.  You can settle the payment via PPS Shop & Buy payment service or Visa/MasterCard. If you are not able to settle the application fee by the payment methods as stipulated from the confirmation email, please contact Admissions Office for further assistance.

  • 33. Do I need to be interviewed?

    If you choose Bachelor of Social Work (Honours) as your first choice, you will be invited to attend the interview around May 2020. Notification of interview will be sent to your email account as provided in your application form.

    (Remarks: Bachelor of Social Work (Hons) programme will only accept first round E-APP applications (i.e. closing date 15 May 2020.)

  • 34. How to contact Admissions Office?

    Admissions Office